The Charles County Charitable Trust (CCCT) works with nonprofits doing good work in Charles County, MD with the focus of improving the lives of the county's residents. We provide grant programs, training programs, and foster meaningful partnerships. Charles County has over 500 nonprofits that cover a broad spectrum of categories including health, disabilities, the arts, education, youth, the environment, law and human services, just to name a few. The Charles County Charitable Trust provides grants to these nonprofits so they can continue to offer and expand programs to county residents. We have an intensive application process for the nonprofits and do site visits and mid year/year end reporting.
Charles County nonprofits serve the residents of Charles County, MD. This includes the areas of (but not limited to) Waldorf, La Plata, Bel Alton, Indian Head, Cobb Island, Nanjemoy, Port Tobacco and Hughesville. It is estimated that 8000 individuals have been supported because of CCCT's support to the Charles County nonprofits. Funding priority is given to organizations supporting underserved populations. As of the 2022 United States Census, Charles County has a population of over 170,000, with 53% being black/African American and 38% being white. 6.7% of our population is considered to be living in poverty. 51% are female and 57% are between the ages of 19-64. Charles County is the fastest growing majority minority county in the United States. One grant to us helps support 40+ nonprofits in Charles County, MD whose missions are supporting the needs of the local community.
In FY 2024, the Charles County Charitable Trust received 74 grant requests for funding totaling over $3.1 M. CCCT was able fund 1/4 of the monetary requests, awarding 54 nonprofits with $879,500. The breakdown of those 54 nonprofits is:
1. Children/Youth Enrichment/Education- 13 nonprofits; funded $157,595 (18% of the requested funding)
2. Health- 6 nonprofits; funded $131,000 (15% of the requested funding)
3. Food Insecurity- 7 nonprofits; funded $129,000 (15% of the requested funding)
4. Other: Bereavement, Constructions, Beautification; CDL Training; Conservation and Preservation, Veterans - 11 nonprofits; funded $113,405 (13% of the requested funding)
5. Disabilities - 6 nonprofits; funded $107,500 (12% of the requested funding)
6. Crime/Victims - 3 nonprofits; funded $105,000 (12% of the requested funding)
7. Homelessness/Housing - 3 nonprofits; funded $99,500 (11% of the requested funding)
8. Arts - 4 nonprofits; funded $26,500 (3% of the requested funding)
9. Animals - 1 nonprofit; funded $10,000 (1% of the requested funding)
With the unique prospective of our program, the CCCT is unable to determine if individuals served are unduplicated. In review of applications, CCCT staff cross-check program requests to reduce duplicated service requests we receive. We estimate these nonprofits supported close to 8000 unduplicated individuals, as we are unable to fully fund program requests, we know many organizations must reduce services to operate within their grant budget.